Saturday, August 18, 2007

the past that suits you best

Tonight I got bored and instead of doing responsible things like my dishes or laundry, I decided to click on the little "Henry County High School" link on my MySpace page. This brings up pages upon pages of profiles belonging to people who also went to that shithole of a high school; "Attendance a Must, Education a Plus!". Upon narrowing the field to people between the ages of 25 and 28, I saw a lot of profiles for people I used to know. But would not know now.

My, how things change. A lot of them are married. Even more have children. Some got fat, or went bald, and a few have suspiciously huge boobs now. And about 75-80% of them STILL LIVE IN HENRY COUNTY. This boggles the mind. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that could convince me to move back to McDonough.

I do have to wonder what these people are like now that they've got another 8 years under the belt. Are they still as petty and clique-ish as they were back in the day? Have they become more open-minded with age? Those with whom I shared classes, what would they think of me today?

I was not a Popular Kid. Or a Cool Kid. Or even close to being one of the handful of girls that always made up the cheerleading squad/homecoming court/etc.etc.etc. I am pretty sure I wasn't thought of very highly, if even thought of at all. I remember this guy David Smoak, shortly after moving into our school, coming around a bookshelf in the library, where I was sitting on the floor reading a book, kicking me in the knee HARD, and then claiming that he didn't see me sitting there. Total bullshit. (sidenote: Mr Smoak ended up living on the floor above me in the dorms freshman year of college. He acted like we were great buddies, introduced me as his "friend from high school", stuff like that. He liked to occupy his time by running up and down his hall with his balls hanging out of the fly of his boxers and by pissing out his dorm room window into the dumpster five stories down). Back then, at good ole HCHS, I was known for one thing, which was being in the band. Not really the sort of thing that raises one's social status. Also, in the yearbook, my name was omitted from half the group/club/organization photos I was in, and the times it was included, it was misspelled.

I went on one date in high school. If it can even be counted as a date. I went to the prom my sophomore year with the foreign exchange student from Spain. It was uneventful, I think we danced to maybe two songs. The night was spent sitting around looking at everything.

Yeah. High school sucked. Hell no would I go back if I could. I feel sorry for people who claim it was the best years of their lives, if only because it happens so early on in life. They sure do have a disappointing 60 years ahead of them.

And though I always said I wouldn't attend a reunion, quite honestly I think it'd be highly entertaining...

No comments:

Post a Comment