Saturday, September 13, 2008

None in particular.

Yesterday I went to Pier 1 Imports because I had a gift card my grandmother sent me for Christmas. I haven't been in one of those stores since I was little, and when I was little house stuff was BORING. Same with shoe stores. Ha, now I go in and my brain is constantly going "Ooo! Pretty! Shiny!" and then it goes "Oooo... expensive. Don't break that." Anyway, I used the card to get some candles'n'shit. And a wine rack that'll hold 12 bottles. Now I need some wine.

The only place in my house I can get reliable internet is on my couch. Specifically, with the laptop propped on the back of the couch next to the window. (Oh, thanks to whoever is supplying me with the open wireless network... Cheers). While sitting here over the past few days, I've noticed that one type of flower growing directly outside the window has attracted visits from some local hummingbirds. You know what? They're really cute. I want to get a feeder and stick it out there so they come back more often. Today I got a bonus- a 4-inch-long praying mantis is hanging out on the same flower the hummingbird went for.

God, I love Goodwill. People get rid of perfectly good, cute clothes (ones that I'd probably try to sell before just getting rid of) and then I get to go buy them for $5. I need to find out when they put out fresh inventory. Way better than Cillie's downtown (for general stuff anyway- you can get lucky at Cillie's sometimes though).

Yesterday, in honor of Patriot's Day, or whatever the hell holiday was made up to commemmorate 9/11, Matt and I grilled out some t-bones. I wish we'd have thought ahead and gotten some fireworks, if only to see how many overly serious people we could piss off.
(Disclaimer: I am by no means downplaying the significance of the events of 9/11/01. It was a very sad day, and just like most everyone else who watched it unfold on TV- in my classroom no less- I did in fact mourn for those people and the impact such an event would have on their families and this country.
I just think it may be time for the TV specials and 'inside stories' and conspiracy theories and overall governmental hype to fade away. It happened, it sucked, it's part of our history now. And now we have the Patriot Act and Homeland Security and The War On Terror (Tare!) and an FBI terrorist watch list that is projected to have over 1 million names on it as of this past July. Let Freedom Ring.)
Anyway, the steaks were tasty. And my grill is too small for two steaks and also a packet of potatoes.

As mentioned in Mother Jones this month, in August GWB took his 950th day of vacation since being elected in 2000. 950 days. In 8 years. He's only 145 days short of a full 3-years worth of vacation days. The previous record for most vacation days taken was held by Ronald Reagan. Ride 'em, cowboy.

I can see why some women choose to be housewives rather than career seekers. While I'm lacking the requirement to be one, well two requirements really- I'm not a wife, and I don't have a breadwinner allowing me to stay home all day- I really haven't minded hanging around my house doing whatever for the past week. I really wouldn't want to be home taking care of babies and whatnot, but being able to do whatever crosses my fancy whenever it does so is great. I can go get coffee and read a book. I can go ride my bike. I can drive to the grocery store and get some milk. Or I can sit on my ass playing on the internet in pajamas. Whatever. It's awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment