Thursday, November 3, 2005

Brains and Pickles.

Halloween has come and gone. It's such a big thing here in Athens, bigger than many other events. At least in the planning part of it. People talk about their costume ideas for weeks, putting them together, trying to be the most original. Oftentimes, those ideas get scrapped last-minute, when it just isn't going to work. Either way, it's lots of fun. No candy, but plenty of beer. 

I had a show with Effie's this past Friday. We opened for Jucifer. I wish we could have gone on a little later- 9:20 is a little early for the crowds here. I got to look like a zombie and prance around in underwear. (see picture). Thriller went well. I lost my wig in the middle of Burley-Q. I guess that can be creepy in itself.

My actual costume this year (since there are secondary costumes for other nights, parties, etc.) was the Pickle Fairy. I am happy with the way it turned out. I looked a little ridiculous, but of course I was handing out pickles to people all night, and who doesn't look ridiculous doing that? May as well be wearing a goofy outfit at the same time! Many people were grossed out by the pickles, but that made it more fun; handing them this saran-wrapped object while they make a confused/apprehensive face. "What is this?" was asked a lot, while they held it out in front of them...  When told it was a pickle, most people smelled it and laughed, and a lot of people handed it back cause they didn't want it. Ungrateful bastards.  I mean who doesn't want a free pickle??

All Monday evening I was frantically trying to sew my skirt into something I could actually wear. I can't really sew, and didn't have a machine, so I made it up as I went. I ran out of time and patience and just stapled on the trim. It worked at least. And since I was busy doing that, my two favorite pickle elves helped me out and packaged up my pickles for me. Even though one of them really hates pickles. The things your friends will do for you! :) So shout outs to Big E and uh, the other Big E-guy for some fine pickle wrapping!

No comments:

Post a Comment